ISC, Brussels, will organise a virtual roundtable to consider the impacts of the GDPR on EU-US science cooperation
, particularly medical science and health research. The meeting will take place at 15h00CEST on Monday
, 14 June 2021 and precede the EU and the US leaders' Summit taking place in Brussels on 15 June 2021. The meeting is being organised in cooperation with the NIH in Washington.
The meeting objective will be to consider the impact of the GDPR on the use of sensitive personal data for medical research and improved health outcomes within the context of EU-US research collaboration and globally, given the extraterritorial nature of the regulation.
Specifically, the seminar will address data transfers and data processing between the EU and the US.
The roundtable objective is to create a much-needed forum for discussion on the broader implications of this regulation on transatlantic science cooperation, at a time when the regulation is arguably becoming a template for similar legislation globally - a "global reference point."
The meeting will bring together policy and research leadership from the EU and US.
Invitees to the roundtable include the following:
- Manuel Heitor, Science Minister, Portugal and chair of the Competitiveness Council during the Portuguese Council Presidency;
- Francis Collins, National Institutes of Health, USA
- Robert Eiss, National Institutes of Health USA
- Eric Lander, President's Science Advisor and Director of the White House Office for Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), USA
- Andrea Jelinek, Chair of the European Data Protection Board.
- Eva Kaili, Member of the European Parliament, Belgium
- Christian Ehler, Member of the European Parliament, Belgium
- Didier Reynders, European Commissioner for Justice, Belgium
- Eddie Bernice, Johnson Chairwoman, House Committee on Science, Technology and Space, US Congress •
- Robin Frears, Federation of European Academies of Medicine, Brussels
- Dario Gil, Senior Vice President and Director of IBM Research
- Alex Voss, Member of the European Parliament, Belgium
- Rita Lawlor, University of Verona, Italy
- Kurt Zatloukal Medical University Graz, Austria
- Susan Veldsman, Academy of Science of South Africa
Registration is available here: