The Acoustical Society of America's 176th Meeting, to be held in conjunction with the Canadian Acoustical Association's 2018 Acoustics Week in Canada, will take place next month, Nov. 5-9, 2018, at the Victoria Conference Centre in Victoria, Canada. It will be largest gathering of acoustical experts anywhere in the world this year and the premiere meeting on the science of sound.
Journalists are invited to attend the meeting for free.
Live press webcasts featuring a selection of newsworthy research will take place during the meeting. Times and topics to be announced soon.
The applications of acoustics are wide and varied, and the conference will include experts who are addressing a wide range of issues including:
- Mitigating unwanted noise in hospitals, classrooms or national parks;
- Tracking the underwater movements of fish and marine mammals;
- The secrets of bat and dolphin biosonar;
- The latest advances in ultrasound for improving human health;
- The phonetics of underdocumented languages;
- How the human brain processes emotion in voices of others;
- The acoustics of musical instruments and beatboxing; and
The latest advances in machine learning and artificial intelligence approaches to acoustical problems.