Terms and conditions of use of the AlphaGalileo service
1. www.alphagalileo.org is a website (“Site”) operated by AlphaGalileo Limited ("We"). We are registered in England and Wales under company number 08688400 and have our registered office at Midland Bridge House, Midland Bridge Road, Bath, BA2 3FP.
2. We strive to deliver a service that meets the needs of two communities - the media and research bodies around the world. If you have a question about using our Site please get in touch with our multilingual team by emailing the duty News Manager at email@example.com
Changes we may make
4. We amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our Site, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
5. We may update and change our Site from time to time to reflect changes to our services, our users' needs and our business priorities.
6. When you register, you are registering as a personal user of our Site. Access to registration areas is via your username and password. Contributors who share passwords and usernames make it difficult for the media to ask follow-up questions and prevent AlphaGalileo sorting out problems with your posting. Sharing of user names and passwords is not acceptable.
7. We allow you access to the registration areas of the site on the basis that:
- your user name and password are personal to you and may not be used by anyone else;
- you will not do anything which would assist anyone who is not a registered user to gain access to any registration area of our Site;
- you do not maliciously create additional usernames for the purpose of abusing the functionality of the site, or other users; nor do you seek to pass yourself off as another user by adopting a similar username; and
- you comply with these terms and conditions.
Use of Material appearing on our Site
8. For the purposes of these terms, “Material” means without limitation, text, video, graphics and sound material, including all Contributions, published on our Site, whether copyright AlphaGalileo or a third party.
9. We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our Site, and in the Material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
10. Material on this site is only to be used for the purpose of research to enable the creation of News content. For the purposes of these terms, “News” is defined as new or noteworthy information having sufficient relevance to the public or a special audience to warrant media attention or coverage.
11. You may download and print extracts of the Material and make copies of these for your own personal and non-commercial use only.
12. You are not allowed to download or print the Material, or extracts from it, in a systematic or regular manner or otherwise so as to create a database in electronic or paper form comprising all or part of the Material appearing on our Site.
13. You must not reproduce any part of our Site or the Material, or transmit it to or store it on any other website or disseminate any part of the Material in any other form, unless we have indicated that you may do so.
15. We may be prepared to allow you to distribute or reproduce parts of our Site or the Material, under certain conditions. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for permission to do so.
16. By accepting these terms and conditions, you confirm that you will respect any embargo set on the news items published on the Site. An embargo prevents publication of Material before the date and time specified, whilst allowing the media to undertake background research and prepare their articles or pieces. Breaking an embargo may lead to the temporary or permanent removal of access to the Site. Contributors who assist the media in breaking their own embargoes or those of others may also lose their access to the Site, as above.
Disclaimer of liability
17. The content on our Site is provided for general information only. You must not rely on any statement we have published on the Site without first taking specialist professional advice. Nothing in the Material is provided for any specific purpose or at the request of any particular person.
18. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our Site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our Site is accurate, complete or up to date.
19. To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to our Site or any content on it. We will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, including loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable.
20. For the avoidance of doubt, we do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
21. You may use our Site only for lawful purposes. You may not use our Site:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any Material which does not comply with our content standards;
- to transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam) ; or
- to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
22. You also agree:
- Not to reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our Site in contravention of the provisions of these terms;
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our Site;
- any equipment or network on which our Site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our Site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
Contributing to our Site
23. "Contributions" refer to news articles, press releases, publication announcements, event details, multimedia library items, broadcast content, blog content and any other Material published by AlphaGalileo Limited in any form, including, but not limited to, email, online, third party content syndication, feeds and print.
24. Any Contribution, together with all updates revisions and additions and any subsequent Contributions made to AlphaGalileo Limited by the same author (the “Contributor”), on our Site is accepted subject to these terms and conditions. By submitting a Contribution using their username and password, a Contributor will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions. In addition, please refer to our Posting Policy for further details on the content of Contributions.
25. Contributions must:
- be accurate (where they state facts);
- be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
- comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
26. Contributions must not:
- contain any material which is defamatory of any person;
- contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- promote sexually explicit material or violence;
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; 7.4.6 be likely to deceive any person;
- be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- promote any illegal activity;
- be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or
- advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Ownership of Contributions
27. The Contributor warrants and represents that the Contributor is the sole author of and sole owner of the copyright in the Contribution. If the Contribution includes materials of others, the Contributor has obtained the permission of the owners of the copyright in all such materials to enable them to grant the rights contained herein.
28. The Contributor grants to AlphaGalileo Limited for the full term of copyright in the Contribution and any extensions thereto a non-exclusive licence:
- to publish, reproduce, distribute, display and store the Contribution in all forms, formats and media whether now known or hereafter developed (including without limitation in print, digital and electronic form) throughout the world; and
- to translate the Contribution into other languages, create adaptations, summaries or extracts of the Contribution or other derivative works based on the Contribution and exercise all of the rights set forth above in such translations, adaptations, summaries, extracts and derivative works; and
- to license others to do any or all of the above on the terms set out herein.
Third party material
29. You will see advertising material submitted by third parties on our Site. Individual advertisers are solely responsible for the content of advertising material which they submit to us, including ensuring that it complies with relevant legislation. We accept no responsibility for the content of advertising material, including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein.
30. We are not responsible for viruses and you must not introduce them.
31. We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
32. You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our Site. You should use your own virus protection software.
Websites we link to
33. Where our Site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
Linking to our site
34. You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
35. You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
36. You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
37. Our Site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our Site other than the home page.
38. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
Suspension and termination
40. If we wish to bring the agreement to an end, we will do so by emailing you at the address you have registered stating that the agreement has terminated. The agreement will terminate and your user name and password will become invalid immediately.
41. Our Site relies on cookies to handle the logon of registered users and to enforce security. The cookie identifies you as a logged on and legitimate user of the Site. We do this to safeguard access privileges, for example embargoed items are only seen by journalists.
42. Cookies are small files sent by the Web server to your machine. There are two types. One is returned to the server and provides simple information about the machine that has logged on; sometimes known as a session identifier. We use these session identifier cookies to handle the log-on of registered users and to check access privileges to embargoed items. If you wish, you can set your browser to auto-accept cookies which are only sent back to the server itself; in this way, you will not be prompted when you log-in to the Site (or to other web sites which use similar cookies), but you will have the option of rejecting cookies which are sent to other servers (for example those for adverts on web sites).
43. The other type of cookie is the one that stays on your hard disk to provide information to the server when you access that site the next time. We will only use this kind of tracking to show our users and visitors information about Alpha Galileo that improves their experience, and it would not be shared or sold to third parties.
44. These terms may be varied from time to time. Please ensure that you review these terms and conditions regularly as you will be deemed to have accepted a variation if you continue to use the Site after it has been posted.
45. Although we will do our best to provide constant, uninterrupted access to our Site, we do not guarantee that our Site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our Site for business and operational reasons.
Governing Law & Jurisdiction
46. These terms, their subject matter and their formation (and any non-contractual disputes or claims) are governed by English law and the parties agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
47. These terms are drafted in the English language and translations are provided for guidance only. The English language version of these terms shall prevail if there is a conflict.