Norwegian School of Veterinary Science
First established in 1935, the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science (NVH) is the sole institution educating veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses in Norway. The school is also responsible for the major part of all veterinary research conducted in the country.
NVH is a state owned, autonomous institution of higher education, with university level status. The school has a student body of 470, including 80 doctoral students. NVH has four academic departments, all involved in teaching and research:
Department of Basic Sciences & Aquatic Medicine
Department of Food Safety & Infection Biology
Department of Production Animal Clinical Sciences
Department of Companion Animal Clinical Sciences
While the main campus is based at Adamstua in Oslo, the Sections for Artic Veterinary Medicine and Small Ruminants are based, respectively, in Tromsø in the far north, and Sandnes in the south west of the country.
In addition, the school runs the national animal hospital and several other clinics serving patients in and around the Oslo area. It also incorporates the central clinical laboratory, the Section for Laboratory Animals, and various other diagnostic clinics and teaching and research stations.